Living next door to the largest city in East Texas has its advantages, but there is plenty to do within Hide-A-Way itself. Our famous park parties, periodic dinner theatres, a terrific Fourth of July celebration, and dinner dances at the Clubhouse are just a few of the pleasurable leisure activities to be found within Hide-A-Way's gates.
Within a half-hour's drive, you can also enjoy all of these special treats:
- One of the most beautiful strolls in Texas at the Tyler Rose Garden, where the Rose Capital puts its very best on display for all to see, both during the Rose Festival and throughout the year.
- The R.Don Coinwan Fe and Performing Arts Center at the University of Texas at Tyler, where top regional and national performing arts events are staged for local residents enjoyment in a wonderful, state-of-the-art venue.
- The abundant talents of local actors and performers bring delight to audiences through performances of the Tyler Civic Theatre, which offers year-round productions in the Braithwaite Theatre and the Rogers Children's Theatre, plus classes for would-be thespians.
- A great afternoon for the whole family is in store at the Caldwell Zoo, which boasts wildlife from around the world in a beautiful setting, plus dining and picnicking opportunities.
- Like your fun outdoors? A sure bet is Tyler State Park, a 985-acre slice of the East Texas woods which includes a 64 acre lake. The park offers picnicking, camping, boating, boat rentals, fishing, swimming, birding, hiking, mountain biking, and nature study less than a half-hour from Hideaway.
- If you just want to catch a flick, the multi-screen Carmike, Hollywood or Times Square theatre complexes can fill the bill. Or you can catch a film on the single screen of The Historic Select Theatre, the oldest continuously operating theatre in Texas, in nearby Mineola.
- If you like the smell of cotton candy and sawdust, the East Texas State Fair offers great rides, exhibits, and delicious food every fall only 25 minutes from Hideaway.
- The stars shine in East Texas at the Oil Palace Convention Center and Concert Hall, located on the east side of Tyler, which host national and regional performing artists throughout the year.